Sunday, October 25, 2009

Back from Hawaii

Well I just returned from vacation in Hawaii! I needed a break from my normal Boise routine, so I took my parents to Kailua Beach on the island of Oahu. We woke up very early last Saturday and took a long plane ride across the Pacific ocean. I was very good on the plane there and I didn't even cry but I was excited and didn't want to sit still or take many naps. I liked it best when we took walks up and down the aisles on the plane.

My Mom rented a place that was just 100 yards from the beach! We arrived around 1pm and we headed straight down to the beach to stretch our legs. Kailua Beach is my favorite beach. It's a private beach that is 2.5 miles long and has big enough waves to be fun, but not so big that they are too scary.
After the first day, Dad and I were jet lagged and hot so we took a nap after our beach adventure.
Our cabana pool.

Dad made sand castles every time we went to the beach and I had fun pushing them over and using my measuring cups to scoop sand into my yogurt container.One afternoon we came down to our beach and there was a black lab swimming through the water pulling a pug (named Peanut) and a beagle on a body board! The beagle and the pug would balance on the board and the lab was chasing a frisbee through the waves while pulling his friends.
We also met Boomer who came to visit me every morning along the beach. He would sit and let me pet him.One day we went to Sandy Beach. Sandy Beach is where the surfers go this time of year because the waves are over 15 feet high! We dipped our feet in the water but the signs on the beach said "No Swimming", so we decided to just build castles on the beach instead.
Later in the week we actually went sight seeing instead of going to the beach. The Byodo-In Temple is a replica of a temple in Japan. I saw a gigantic statue of Buddha and rang a large bell before entering the temple.
After visiting the temple we continued up the east coast of Oahu to Kahana Bay Beach. The waves were very gentle, so I explored on my hands and feet. I'm calling this Reese's beach.
I LOVED taking outdoor showers at our Cabana after our beach adventures. I am adding it to Daddy's to-do list for our Boise home.
On our last day, we checked out of our cabana and went up to the North Shore to watch the sunset before our 10pm red-eye flight back home.
I didn't want to leave so I sat in the suitcase at the airport and unpacked our carry-on bag.
Until next time!

3 comments:

Grammy and Bompa said...

We want to go there!!! Wow--the sand, the surf, the temples, the tropical drinks, the gardeny mountains...

Forget Switzerland--our mad money's for Hawaii!

Michelle Kindig said...

Your vacation looks wonderful, you guys!!! I'm so happy that you had a chance to take a family vacation!!!! I love the doggies and Reese Beach!

Michelle Kindig said...

Looks like a great trip! Next time you go, can you bring me along? Love Uncle Mike